Flickering Dimmer When Turned Up ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I've just moved into a new house, and in one of the rooms the light switch was half way across the room, So today I joined up some wire to the original wires coming out of the back box with some connector blocks and relocated it next to the door.

The problem is that now the dimmer switch flickers when you turn it all the way up.

I know that some dimmers can flicker when their turned down low but this is the first time I've seen it when turned all the way up.

Any ideas ?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Are you using energy saving light bulbs in the fitting? These can flicker when used with a dimmer.

What Andy said.

Assuming you are using exactly the same light fitting and lamps and exactly the same dimmer, then the problem is with your wiring.

Dimmers flicker for a number of reasons
Too much load
Too little load
Incompatible load (ie energy saving, non-dimmerable transformer, leading/trailing edge conflicts, etc)

PS Re the cabling you have done.

I trust it is run in recognised safe zones //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

and that you are not planning to plaster over the existing back box.

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

Safety wise, the original back box was a suffice mount box so all I did was make a hole in the side to pass my new wire through and put a blanking plate over it. I also used the same wire you would use to wire the light socket internally only I have done it externally using some external tunnelling.

I can't work out what could have gone wrong as all I've really done is extend the wires.

Oh yeah, I'm using the same bulbs (standard bayonet bulbs) ...etc that were being used before I did this.

Another thing is that this is a double dimmer and the other side is working perfectly.

Sponsored Links
Does the "other side" work if you connect it up to the subject light?

I mean, if you swop the dimmers over, does the problem stay with the dimmer, or the light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back