Flickering Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a worrying problem that has started happening in the last few weeks. I have noticed that all my downstairs lights dim very slightly when any appliances are used on any of the downstairs sockets (i.e Kettle, Hairdryer etc) I realise that on the same circuit this would be normal as a kettle would draw a large current and affect lights on the same circuit, but on a different circuit, this is a bit worrying.

I have not tried the kettle or hairdryer on any other ring main or observed it on any other lighting circuit.

Before I call in an electrician to test the circuits is there anything that might be worth checking such as an incorrectly secured wire in a ceiling rose / and or 13 amp socket.

The only work I have done recently (2 months ago) was to replace two new ceiling roses in downstairs rooms after decorating. All the lights work fine and I was careful identify all wiring by marking it beforehand with the appropriate tape etc.

Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks

:confused:

Sponsored Links
You dont say if its all the lights that flicker or just the ones you changed check for a loose connection on the ones you changed or monitor what is already switched on when they flicker check your fuse box for overheating. Hot fuses or brown marks on the fuse holders also are you sure an upstairs socket hasnt been added to the downstairs lighting circuit. It wouldnt be the first time. Good luck

I'd put it down to Wallace's extremely dodgy wiring. Have a woof in his ear about it.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I'd put it down to Wallace's extremely dodgy wiring. Have a woof in his ear about it.

It could of course be the curse of the Wire Rabbit!

Groan :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back