Flickering Mains Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest the causes of flickering mains lights?

I live in a small bungalow: four mains circuits: shower, cooker, ring mains, lighting.

Wiring is bog standard modern stuff (copper/ plastic), sockets: modern. Fusebox: old (4 cartridge fuses)

At some times during the evening flickering is noticeable on lights connected to BOTH the ring mains and ceiling lights (only on tungstan bulbs not energy savers). No faults are visible on other equipment (including hi fi and video equipment).

Can anyone suggest the steps that they would take to identify the fault and is the old fusebox likely to be the cause of the problem?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
further info: I have just taken each fuse out in turn (from the fusebox)...none of the removed fuses cures the flicker.

what size are the cables suppling these circuits?
And what size are the main supply cables?
sounds possibly like a high resistant contact somewhere or a cable failing under load.
Best to get a sparky in to check it out...and make sure your buildings insurance is up to date ......only joking!!!!Lol

thanks for reply...

cables look like: mains sockets 2.5mm, lighting 1.0mm, cooker/ shower much thicker not sure what. Two thick individual cables run directly from mains fuse holder to switch which is part of the fuse box.

can you tell me why if one cable or switch/ appliance is failing removing the circuit from the affected circuit (ie ring mains or lighting circuit) doesn't cause the flicker to stop?

anyone any ideas...I am starting to suspect the mains switch/ fusebox

Sponsored Links
you say you have an old fusebox with removable fuses.

A pound to a penny it is an old Wylex Standard. Is it brown or cream?

How about a photo?

The main switch on the fusebox might be worn. Or you may have a loose connection, either in the fusebox or in the service head. It may result from overloading, e.g. if you have an electric shower or large electric cooker. Wiggling the switch may make the flickering worse, or better, if it is worn.

post some pics of the fusebox, meter, company fuse, and the cables around and between them. they will help.

these old Wylexes often have live terminals inside that can be touched, even when the main switch is off, so if you do decide to open it, beware anything loose, and don't touch anything inside, especially the top of the main switch, with fingers etc.

good guess...Wylex (cream in colour)! I will try to post some pics of it later. I thought the box switch must be live as there seems no way of isolating it other than removing the company fuse. Thanks for the warning though. Are SWALEC 'touchy' about removing the fuse...hope not because the clip and tape on the fuse cover are broken (nothing to do with me for a change!).

The meter is a flashy radio telemeter (two rate) installed by SWALEC at my request 10 years ago.

i think i solved your problem!!!
the reason the lights are flicking!!!!!

you dont live in a disco do you??????????????

its that or the meter!!!! i had one doing the same thing earlier this year got meter changed okay since (high resistance contacts inside the meter me thinks!!!!!) :?: :?:

I'm having exactly the same problem with my lights.

I have contacted my electricity supplier and they said that it is nothing to worry about as it is when the substation switches over during the evening.

Could this be true?

Paul

You have hi-jacked an old post.

There has been a recent post ( last 30 days ) where the possible reasons and solutions were discussed and the problem resolved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back