Flies in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went into the loft at the weekend to check out whether I could find where my roof is leaking. When I opened the hatch lots of flies came out. I'm wondering whether there is a dead bird/animal in there or whether flies sometimes make a nest. Presumably they need something to feed on. Are there any other causes? Will they just die in the cold weather?

Sponsored Links
Flies will 'winter-over' in lofts and such places. Especially if you live near a farm yard.

joe

This ius quite normal, only worry if your loft smells rotten, perhaps santa got stuck last year. ;)

You can often see them on sunny walls at this time of year, getting a warm, they are the ones about the size of blue bottles, they may even be said fly.

Just dome some quick research, see the section on flies here http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/bugquest/bugid2.htm#flies:cool:

Sponsored Links
The flies.. If notso lucky you may have 'cluster flies' Apparently not a huge problem.
Our local council has a page on them ..
http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/environment/animalsandpests/Pests/ClusterFlies.htm
I am sure you will find plenty of info on the web... Your own local council perhaps ?

We have a South West facing gable end .. some flies sun themselves on it... in the cooler afternoons.
It has been said that darker paint may dissuade a few of them .. they like the reflected heat from light colours .. don't get much up those spindly legs I suppose.
Non in loft tho.
;)

Contact the Lord of the Flies.....he`s out there on the Web :rolleyes:

I found some old zips in the loft, i think they were from mens trousers, i just threw them in the bin

breezer said:
I found some old zips in the loft, i think they were from mens trousers, i just threw them in the bin
some punk had been squatting there :eek: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back