Flip over chopsaw/table saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mornin'.

A very, merry sunday to all! :LOL:

Was whiling away the hours in B&Q the other day ... as I do :oops: Came across a compound mitre saw that could be flipped over in its stand to become a table saw. Never seen one of these before (not in B&Q at least). Half price at £149. 2000w motor, 75mm cut depth as a table saw.

It's made by MacAllister - I've got a few other tools by them and am happy with their DIY'er level quality.

I've only got a small workshop (well, it's a shed really, but having a shed sounds a bit .... sad) so if I can save space with a 2-in-1, I will.

I've had a few projects in the past where I've really needed a table saw but have had to use a jigsaw or circ saw instead and the end result was poorer for it.

Has anyone used a flip-over saw by this or other manufacturers? How do they rate compared to having a compound saw AND a table saw of a similar quality? Do they lose anything in from being a 2-in-1?

Fanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Yep, I bought a MacAllister compound mitre saw from B&Q at the weekend. I got as far as taking it out of the box and couldn't understand where the instructions were to fit the saw to the table.
I only noticed that the thing had sheared off its table when I picked it up and it slipped through my hands thanks to a load of oil on the body, ripping my palm to shreds! :eek:
Luckily the stitches will be out in a few weeks...

Save yourself some money and pain, I've had a look on the web and it looks like this is not the only one with this problem.

i have the dewalt 742
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop011.jpg

great bit of kit flips in seconds then 10 mins to affix the riving knife and gaurd :rolleyes: removed for cleaning purposes here :oops: :oops: ;)

the problems are you need to plan your production to stop continuouse flipping
seems to need setting up more often when flipping frequently

you could also try a combination saw as a comprimise between the 2 modes with no real conversion between modes
this picture shows a combination saw in the foreground and the dewalt flipped in the background
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop003.jpg

dewalt just under £500 clark was £250 but now about £200

I only noticed that the thing had sheared off its table when I picked it up and it slipped through my hands thanks to a load of oil on the body, ripping my palm to shreds! :eek:
Luckily the stitches will be out in a few weeks...

Hi carumba! :eek:

Funnily enough, my mate just bought one cheap as it was 'open box' and found four fingers in the box! He said they are great for holding the timber down or using instead of a push stick :LOL:

Sponsored Links
had my macallister flip saw over a year now and it gets used every week...very impressed with it although it needed the angles setting up on arrival..which was stated in the manuals....my mate has one too that he uses for work and loves it.....if you go for one set it up before use ..you wont be disappointed despite some of the revues

i have the dewalt 742
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/?action=view&current=workshop011.jpg

great bit of kit flips in seconds then 10 mins to affix the riving knife and gaurd :rolleyes: removed for cleaning purposes here :oops: :oops: ;)

dewalt just under £500

I have got one of these too - except mine is badged as an Elu, but then I bought it about 15 years ago, and DeWalt must have bought them out or something.
That saw is the best bit of kit I ever bought, it cost me £600 in 1994 - but it has paid for itself several hundred times by now.
The best thing is, that it just keeps on going - I even left it in a leaky shed for a winter, Its rusty now but still purrs as good as it did when i first bought it.
you can still buy all the parts for it - even the brushes and bearings for the motor. It can sit on a table, or has its own sturdy legs. You can get a fence extension attachment that will handle 8' x 4' boards (although once you are familiar with it sawing a full board isn't too tricky, especially if youv'e a helper).
This saw is a classic - how many other powertools are still being produced 25 years after they were introduced? They got the design absolutely right first time with this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back