Floating floor / wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a new house and the flooring downstairs is a floating floor.

I'm not sure what the subfloor is but it has polystyrene, a waterproof membrane and then plywood/chipboard 'loft'-type panels on top.

Does anyone know whether I can take some or all of this up to put down wood flooring?

I'd be keen to take up the wood panels and I am wondering whether to take up just these and then put down the underlay/wood floor on the membrane or whether to take up the polystyrene/membrane/wood panels and put down concrete/membrane/underlay/wood floor on the subfloor.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
if possible i would install your new flooring floating over the top of the subfloor which is already floating. You cant really take it up and fill with concrete as due to new regs you need insulation under the concrete slab. You will not have enough thickness to do this without the floor height raising 50mm minimum

Thanks Mattysupra.

I don't think we can lay the wood flooring on top of the wooden panels because of the current skirting height and the radiators/piping.

We also need to replace some of the wood panels so ideally want to remove them and lay the floor on the polystyrene/water-proof membrane.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back