Floating shelves avice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have these shelves for plants and nicknaks which are made from solid pine. The shelved are attached to the wall using 5 Hafale concealed shelf brackets per shelf. The wood is a bit twisted and shelves aren't quite wide enough so I'd like to rebuild the shelves using a 4x2 batten and ply. Will pine 4x2s (one long peice at the wall plus 5 perpendiculat short peices attached with pochetholes and screws) and 8 mm ply be strong enough/the recomended plan? I plan to paint it white.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305_115141_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_115141_Photos.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 25
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How long are the shelves?
If you're going to keep plants on them i'd prefer to see at least half an inch thickness in the wood.

How long are the shelves?
If you're going to keep plants on them i'd prefer to see at least half an inch thickness in the wood.
There are 3 shelves, length vary. They're around 2m long. When you say at least half an inch thickness in the wood, are you referring to the plywood?

Given the length, i'd go for an inch. It's as good as a mile if you're putting plants on it.

I made the shelves using a 44mm solid core fire door. I drilled the holes for the floating self brackets which are 12mm in diameter using a 12mm twist drill bit and a drill block to make it square. The fit appears a bit too tight so I cant slide the shelf onto the rods. I checked the fit, and strangely it's variable. The rods slide in with a push into some of the holes but go in a bit and get stuck in other holes.

I run the drill in and out several times using same drill bit to extend the holes diameter which improved the situation but still the fit is too tight. Can you advise how to fix this?

Last edited:
Buy a slightly bigger drill bit is the obvious answer, you can buy drill bits in 0.1mm increments. However exactly what size to buy is not so obvious .....

You can buy drill bits in 0.1mm increments. However exactly what size to buy is not so obvious .....
I didn't realise that. Who sells these?

Getting the drill bit is the easy part. The harder part is how to use the marginally larger drill bit to extend an existing hole?

how to use the marginally larger drill bit to extend an existing hole?
I think this is going to be a bit of a nightmare. In my experience, the bit will follow whatever path it wants, even if you're using a pillar drill* and the work piece is firmly clamped.
I would use a hand-held drill with the existing bit, with some sideways force to use the flutes in the drill to wear away at the edge [this might be what you've already been doing]. Offer it up, if it doesn't fit, try again.

Have you checked if the rods fitted to the wall are square? Maybe a bit of bending will get you there.

* My pillar drill is some cheapo thing I inherited, perhaps a better-made unit with less play in it would perform better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back