"Floating" two-way switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody

I am wanting to do exactly what my customers do all the time - namely alter the electrical installation after decoration......

I want to install a circuit for a bedside light in two rooms - one is my 4 yo's (room A) and one is for my second child next door (room B).

Each light is to have two-way switching (one near bed and one near door).

But due to new decor, I cannot fit swiches/ sockets for the bedside lights next to the beds as these walls are solid.

I propose to fit sockets for the lights in a stud wall a few feet away from each bed (the wall dividing bedrooms A & B).

One of the switches for each light can also be mounted in a plasterboard wall adjacent to the door without disturbance, but the switches adjacent to the bed cannot be flush-mounted, again due to solid walls.

I would like to fit a "klick" outlet into the dividing stud wall for each of these switches (ie 4 terminal outlet wired to C, L1 & L2, and cpc) and run a "floating switch" (ie one connected to the outlet via flex) from it.

I have seen two-way floating switches connected with flex before, but are they still available?

I know wireless switches are available (tlc easySWITCH), but don't fancy anything surface-mounted. Plus, in this instance, it would work out very expensive to provide an easySWITCH soln.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
using a klick outlet for a 2 way switch seems a bit dodgy to me
after all what if someone plugs it into a powered outlet

with that warning out of the way if you can't find a supplier you could do it yourself with 4 core mains flex (unfortunately with maplin no longer selling it you may need to by a whole reel from a supplier like cpc this ) and a metalclad switch using a compression gland to secure the flex

another thing have you considered pull cords?

Yes. Personally, I hate them.

Considering changing my name to ban-all-pullcords.

Could the same thing be done with a relay and push to make switches?

In France, they use "Auto-alimentation" relays to switch lights from multiple locations....

Sponsored Links
if you have reasonable electronics experiance you coudl build something with a d type flip flop a capacitor a resistor a transistor and a relay to give push on push off switching

plugwash said:
if you have reasonable electronics experiance you coudl build something with a d type flip flop a capacitor a resistor a transistor and a relay to give push on push off switching

Just watch the back EMF from the relay coil when you switch it off - could b*gg*r up the transistor.

Other ideas - if you can't find a 2-way torpedo switch, could you improvise one with a 2-way architrave switch and a small ABS box?

And if you don't mind black (assuming it can be placed reasonably out of sight), something like the Bulgin SA2367/2368 4-pin plug/socket pair could be used on the wall, as that'd ensure that the little blighters^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdarlings couldn't plug the lamp in anywhere else in the house.

My electronics is limited, but instead of loads of complicated components, can't the job be done with a simple relay and push to make momentary switches?

Trouble is these ptm switches (or one at least) would need to be SELV. Like the Friedland Pear D647 on a cord. see http://www.h-e.nl/index.php

Sorry it's netherlands - it was the quickest hit on google!!

Who can wire a relay with one hand behind their back while having a sl*sh???

you could do it with 2 push switches and a relay

push on push off would be near impoosible in relays though

But somehow the French manage it, with their Auto-alimentation relays (still not quite sure what that means......)

A literal translation is "self-feeding"

Adam - as a fellow frog-garbler, what do you think?

on button and off button is easy with a relay that has changeover contacts (prefereablly 2 sets so you can isolate controls and outputs)

one button that toggles it is much harder

plugwash said:
one button that toggles it is much harder

I did it once, and do you think i can remember how?................no chance

you could always have a selv on / off switch (or even a elv on off switch) directly operating a 12 v relay which in turn operates the lights, and you would be best off with 2 diodes (4001) one in series with the other,(commonly called ID 10 T diode) so that you wont connect it the wrong way round, of course we are all presuming the supply is DC

Maybe I'm being thick, but I'm struggling to understand how SELV, or relays, or flip-flops are an answer to the basic question of how to get 2-way switching into these rooms without ripping up the walls....

:?: :?:

that's the trouble with these forums, we all quite often go off topic.

since you don't like pull cords

how about a stick and ordainairy switch on the ceiling? :confused: :LOL:

a floating elv switch has a lot less problems than a floating mains switch

i think the best way is to do the 2 way wiring in elv and then have a relay (in an adaptable box) to switch the lights

then you can use miniture switches and conect them with din sockets which will give a much neater job than tring to do floating mains switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back