flooded kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a massive leak in the kitchen yesterday with a leaking mains connection. Managed to rescue most of eth cupboards etc but the water went underneath the floor tiles and into the living room and hall destroying the wood floors.

We will have the insurance company out over the next few days but I am concerned that some water will remain sitting under the kitchen floor tiles and cause longer term problems. Woudl really appreciate some advice on this:-

1.) Will any residual water under the kitchen floor tiles (could be quite a lot) be absorned by the concrete base (its a 12 year old house built on a concrete pad).

2.) If the concrete base will absorb teh water where will it go - there is of course a DPM under the concrete base?

3.) If we dont lift and replace the floor tiles do we risk longer term problems such as damp or mold etc.

Will be a real pain to lift the tiles as in some areas they are under cupboards etc. Any advice is welcome - I want to be prepared for teh insurance company so they dont fob me off with a cheap botch job repair.

Thanks

Graham

Sponsored Links
yes, water will soak into the floor, and then rise up the walls. It will take a year or so to dry out. Covering it up will keep it wet for longer, exposing it will dry it out faster. The decorative surface will be damaged. Wallpaper and skirtings should be removed quickly. Mould will grow while it is damp. Carpets and laminates must be lifted (but keep for the insurers to see at least a sample). Wooden floors should have a few boards taken up for ventilation.

The hose of a wet-and-dry vacuum cleaner is good for sucking the water out from under cabinets and behind skirtings

Kitchen cabinets are usually made of chipboard or MDF, and it takes very little water to make them swell up and fall apart, so you will be lucky if they don't need to be changed.

Blowing fans onto exposed wet surfaces makes them dry out faster. You need lots and lots of ventilation (or expensive humidifiers) to remove the wet air, or the water from the air.

You didn't say if the floor tiles are ceramic or what.

Hi John thanks for the reply.

The tiles are porcelain.

The skirting boards are MDF, but it looks like the water didnt touch them as they havent swollen (yet anyway) so reluctant to remove just yet. The plaster on the walls dont show any sign of water damage so I think most of teh water flowwed under the tiles.

I don't see how water would get under porcelain tiles as they will be in a fairly solid adhesive bed.

However unless waterproof (shower) adhesive was used, it may soften and crumble when wet and the tiles go loose.

Sponsored Links
I guess it is in the 'notches' of the adhesive - there would be voids I guess.

Must have gone underneath as it went under the walls into hall way and the surface of the tiles were not wet in that area - only underneath the tiles.

My biggest concern is whether or not the tiles need to come up for the concrete to dry out.

The flood was like a washing machine flood - but over a very big area.

As far as the tile adhesive is concerned, isnt most / all cementous porcelain adheisve (not ready mixed) water resistant so wont crumble?

Anymore veiws on whether or not tile floor needs to come up (or not) welcomed. I just know the insurance company will say it doesnt.

I dont want to over react and push for the tiles to be replaced unless it is really neccesary and will cause longer term issues if they are not.

I don't know, put a question on the "tiling" section

I do know that you can clean off and re-use old tiles by putting them in a bucket of water overnight; if it is not the shower grade, the adhesive can be cleaned off the next day.

I had a similar (worse in fact ) incident in my house a few years ago. I'd get some industrial dehumidifiers into action as soon as possible. It is amazing how much moisture they can suck out of the fabric of a room overnight. The sooner you start dehumidifying the less time the water will have to wick further into the floors and walls of your house. My insurance company paid both for the dehumidifiers and for the electricity to run them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back