Floodlight column cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Is there a preferred type of cable for running up inside a floodlight column.
The posts will be about 60' high and two 2kW (415v) fittings mounted on a cross arm at the top.

Thanks for any guidance

Sponsored Links
Will the cables be supported at intervals in the column?
~18M drop could stress a cable over time if it's not supported.

Thanks guys,
I do not think there is any provision for cable support. I have seen cable with a built in support wire for pendant controls etc. and wondered about this type of cable for the column situation.

Sponsored Links
60' ?

This is not a typical column, and is bound to have cabling provision!

It is rare to spec just two 415v fittings. If you just have one or two fittings you would usually go with 240v fittings. 3 or more fittings would lead you to 415v fittings.

The current posts are 60' and about 30 yrs old. Although I am not sure of the height of the new ones, the "worst case" will be like for like (height)
The old thorn 1500w single phase fittings have been replaced over the years with thorn mundial 2kw units which provide an adequate light. Four posts, 8 lamps.

we use 1.5mm upto 8 mtrs and 2.5mm upto 12mtrs just normal solid core twin and earth cable.

Ive seen high mast 30 mtrs tall wired with a flexable multicore stranded cable. It had a rubber sheath and cloth braided insulation.

tiewraping the cable onto a rope or wire rope every 2 foot or so as you feed both in, and then anchoring the rope / wire at the top will provide stress release.. especially if you leave a little slack in the wire as you tie it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back