Floodlight tripping fuse - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, yesterday my existing pir floodlight stopped working. Thinking it was a bulb, but unable to get the old one out due to the screw being rusted, I bought and installed a new one (150w).

At first it didn't work, due to the fuse being blown and me not knowing that at the time, however I replaced the fuse (5amp) and it worked. It went off as normal and back on again but when I went outside a bit later it didn't come on again.

Suspecting the fuse had blown again I changed it and voila it worked once but now it seems to have blown the fuse again.

The light is on a fused switch, the wiring into the light is fine as I doubled checked it when I first installed it and it didn't work. The wiring is trunked along the outside of the house to the switch so I can't imagine there is any damage to that and it's only 18 months old.

That fact that it suddenly happened yesterday on the old lamp, and now the new one could the switch be the fault?

I haven't touched the bulb with my fingers either and at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Is there a joint in the cable outside that may be getting wet?

Anywhere indoors the cable may have been damaged, like a nail in the wall or something?

Any DIY work of any kind been carried out recently?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back