Spotlights blowing fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, can anyone help? I turned on the switch for the kitchen spotlights and there was a flash and a bang. Fuse had burnt out in the fuse box, so replaced the wire. When I turned on the kitchen light again, it blew again.
Could it be one blown bulb to cause this? Whenever bulbs have gone in my house before they've never blown the circuit, but perhaps spotlights are different??
Sorry if terminilogy is all wrong, I'm a helpless female!

Sponsored Links
Lamps failing can cause MCB's to trip, but it isn't so common on rewirable fuses because they are less sensitive. For the fuse to 'blow' a second time indicates a fault. Do you feel comfortable turning off the 'leccy and having a look behind switches/lamp holders to check for loose connections?

What sort of spotlights are they? Are they the recessed type which sit flush with the ceiling, or is it a surface mounted fitting with 3 or 4 spots on it?

Does the fuse blow if you leave the kitchen light switch off?

It is unlikely to be a failed lamp (lightbulb) which is causing this problem.

Loula,
Sorry to be asking what might seem to be a daft question, but are these newly fitted spotlights or have they been in a while??

Sponsored Links
"red to red to red, and black to black to black", eh? :D

Blows the fuse immediately the light swich is operated.

davy_owen_88 said:
Lamps failing can cause MCB's to trip, but it isn't so common on rewirable fuses because they are less sensitive. For the fuse to 'blow' a second time indicates a fault. Do you feel comfortable turning off the 'leccy and having a look behind switches/lamp holders to check for loose connections?
Well I took one bulb out that looked a bit black, but then looking at the others, they look quite dark :rolleyes: guess that doesn't help! No one has touched the actual light fittings for a while, which is the bit that intrigues me...

Right then, this is a whole different matter then.

Next Q
Are they mains or 12v lamps?

You can tell by the pins on the back. Mains are a sort of mushroom shape and 12v are thin straight pins.

RF Lighting said:
What sort of spotlights are they? Are they the recessed type which sit flush with the ceiling, or is it a surface mounted fitting with 3 or 4 spots on it?

Does the fuse blow if you leave the kitchen light switch off?

It is unlikely to be a failed lamp (lightbulb) which is causing this problem.

Yes they are recessed. And no, the fuse doesn't blow if I leave the light switched off. I found this after getting through a metres of fuse wire lol :D

nozspark said:
Right then, this is a whole different matter then.

Next Q
Are they mains or 12v lamps?

You can tell by the pins on the back. Mains are a sort of mushroom shape and 12v are thin straight pins.
They're 2 pin...
PS am I replying correctly or should I just click on your name?

Very rarely, a bulb can fail with an internal short... if you take all the bulbs out, does it still happen? (also observe any broken-feeling lampholders)

No need, you have 12v lamps.

This could indicate that one of the transformers that supply one of the lamps might have failed when the lamp blew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back