Help/Advice needed re lighting problem

@ scarypants - two wires, one red one black.

@ wingcoax - loose wires? Something blew whilst I was changing the lightbulb, do you think there may be something loose in the light case itself, or do you mean the general wiring in the house?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
please read my earlier post, where I've stated that I've removed the light from the ceiling...hence the cable with a black and red wire is "hanging loose". As soon as I put the light unit back on the ceiling there will be nothing hanging loose....maybe this pic may help?

It's a similar light to this....[/img]

Sponsored Links
I was removing/changing the light bulb, as I pressed and tried twisting something blew. Since then the downstairs lights have not worked, however teh plug socket are all ok. I checked all the two old fashioned fuses (ones that you have to take out and replace the fusewire manually). There is also a consumer unit, none of the plug breakers flipped when the bang/problem occurred.
I guess my main two questions are:
1) is there a mechanism or somthing in the 4 light bar spotlight that could have blown, thus breaking the circuit?
2) Having removed the lighting unit, with the cable hanging out of the ceiling now, does this constitute a break in the lighting circuit?
I'm just wondering what on earth could be broken, if the fuses are ok, it must be the spotlight unit itself? If not, what else could it be?????

Yes I did, I can see that even though the light switch is off, there is a live feed to light itself. But since I was only changing a bulb i did not think it necessary to turn off power at the mains. Could there be something wrong with the back plate??

I guess my main two questions are:
1) is there a mechanism or somthing in the 4 light bar spotlight that could have blown, thus breaking the circuit?
2) Having removed the lighting unit, with the cable hanging out of the ceiling now, does this constitute a break in the lighting circuit?
I'm just wondering what on earth could be broken, if the fuses are ok, it must be the spotlight unit itself? If not, what else could it be?????

1) With this fitting a short can cause the fuse to blow.

2) If only two wire as mentioned shouldn't as it's either end of loop or not in a loop in circuit.

Could well be a faulty breaker, daft question but the circuit has not taken a feed from another circuit via a fuse connection unit has it?

we need ACTUAL pictures of your ACTUAL light.. and the switch and the fuseboard while your at it..
we can't diagnose YOUR problem from a catalogue picture can we?

if there are only 2 wires at the light, then that's a switched live and a neutral ( and I hope there's a third wire, the earth.. )
this indicated that the loop feed for it is at the switch..

ok, will get photos done this weekend and post them up for you perusal. The catalogue photo was to show you the kind of light I was talking about, hopefully when you see the light I've used you'll be better placed to diagnose the issue ColJack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back