Floor Bracing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the correct way to fix bracing timbers between joists on a suspended floor? Should they be nailed or screwed? Is this specified in builiding regulations? I am specifically referrring to single pieces of straight timber fitted between joists NOT the diagonal braces.

Sponsored Links
I used 4" round head nails and staggered the solid noggins on each side of the centre, plenty of room hitting the nails ;) on left piccy

frame.gif

What is the correct way to fix bracing timbers between joists on a suspended floor? Should they be nailed or screwed? Is this specified in builiding regulations? I am specifically referrring to single pieces of straight timber fitted between joists NOT the diagonal braces.

It doesn't matter too much but nails have a higher shear load but can be difficult to drive in between joists the same for screws though.You need a big hammer to drive a 6" nail. You need to fix at the top and bottom of straight timber bracing timbers otherwise they won't work as bracing. They act in exactly the same way as diagonal braces if they are properly fixed. The one of reasons for using diagonal braces is that they are more easy to fix to give proper bracing.

hsa_off.jpg

You can get metal herringbone strut, not keen not being flush at top and bottom unless chopped out.

Sponsored Links
I have seen ones that don't go over the top of the joist but are face fixed in a similar way to the way that timber batterns would be fixed. Not sure how they would work on irregular joist spacings though.

Pieces of joist will stop joists deflecting but the weak point would be IF you can't fix the last joists mechanically to the joist bracing as those would be able to deflect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back