Floor glue emulsifying! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would really appreciate any pointers as to why the the floor used with our karndean floor has emulsified. We had karndean laid about 5 months ago. More recently (within the last two months) the glue has gone wet, it looks like mayonnaise. This had only happened in one area of the kitchen, and to add to the mystery, it seems to dry up and then all of a sudden starts oozing out through the joins again. We don't appear to have an above floor leak, as we've checked the dishwasher and plumbing under the sink. My worst fear that the leak is under the floor... Has anyone come across this sort of thing before? The karndean is laid in our new extension, have also read about the concrete not being dry enough before the flooring was laid but surely this would affect the whole floor?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
is it a concrete floor?

how hard have you looked for the leak?

Hi John, it is a concrete floor. We've got a builder friend coming over to take a look for potential leaks today, before that we checked daily for water from under the sink/behind dishwasher but found nothing.

The adhesive emulsifies with water. Therefore you probably have a leak somewhere.

I presume the tiles will just peel up. If they do then scrape the emulsified adhesive off the floor and check for damp.

Sponsored Links
How old is the floor?
Is it early 70s or before?
Does it have a damp proof membrane?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back