Floor joists supporting roof load?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a loft conversion where new larger floor joists span from eaves to centre spine wall to eaves, is it possible to substitute roof purlins (& supports) with a structural stud wall which is built off these new floor joists rather than off a steel beam, if the floor joists are of a larger S.E. calculated size (than those stated in span tables which obviously only consider floor loadings)?

Im just considering an easier installation method (possibly) than inserting a large/long/heavy steel (with awkward access), before calling back the S.E. to recalc.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Yes, may not be cheaper though. Although if timber is your medium then could be an option.

As far as i know (since having this done myself) Your new larger floor joists will have to installed on or into new steel (RSJ's) in order to remove the purlns & supports. Sounds like a "yes" from what i read. You could check with a surveyor/architect tho..to be sure

In a loft conversion where new larger floor joists span from eaves to centre spine wall to eaves, is it possible to substitute roof purlins (& supports) with a structural stud wall which is built off these new floor joists rather than off a steel beam, if the floor joists are of a larger S.E. calculated size (than those stated in span tables which obviously only consider floor loadings)?

Im just considering an easier installation method (possibly) than inserting a large/long/heavy steel (with awkward access), before calling back the S.E. to recalc.

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back