Floor leveling conundrum...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, newby first post dilema!

Where my kitchen meets my back utility there is a drop from floorboard to tile (over concrete)..it starts at approx 20mm and continues to ~ 30/40mm.

There were a few low and high spots which I have filled with self level. On top of this I have laid 20mm ply and the floor is efectively now level between the two rooms and ready for a nice wood/laminate/tile floor and a kitchen on top...

But the issue is this....how should I attach the newly fitted ply onto the tile beneath as, at the moment, it is just floating there?

Glue, screw or float?....as this is the base for a kitchen floor I am reluctant to glue (as dishwashers/washing machines can leak)...

If I screw it then i have to screw into the tiles beneath..perhaps not a problem but seems a little odd...and what about expansion?

If i leave it floating then it would be even wierder to float a wooden floor on top of this!!! a double floater if you will :LOL:

also...should i have laid a DPM under the ply and on top of the tile?

hmmmm. most forums talk about laying tile onto ply...but not ply onto tile!

hope someone can advise me. Many thanks

ps. couldnt level the whole area as it extends to far to the back of the house and into wc area..

Sponsored Links
Hi all... anyone have any ideas ? Or am I so far off the mark its silly ?

One recommendation was to screw the ply to the tile with a dpm under it. But with a screw every 4 inches or so ? Sounds like overkill....

It's more a waste - laying a dpm first and then screwing through it every 25cm??? DPM turns into a sieve ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back