Floor levels between rooms

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve recently knocked three rooms into one making the living room/diner into a kitchen/diner and incorporated the existing utility room into the kitchen diner also. However, the floor levels (made from concrete) are completely off between the three areas in the kitchen / diner - the utility room floor is around an inch higher than the kitchen floor.

How would I go about fixing this? Would my best bet be to chip away at the surface of the utility floor to bring it below the kitchen floor level and pour a load of self level into the area?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We had that and because we were tiling the floor we put extra insulation under the low side.

depemds on the relative sizes of the areas and any constraints eg door thresholds in the rooms.
If the kitchen is small you could add an inch of screed to make it up.

depemds on the relative sizes of the areas and any constraints eg door thresholds in the rooms.
If the kitchen is small you could add an inch of screed to make it up.

The kitchen area is a much larger space than the utility area, probably double the size, the door in the utility leads out to the back garden but we’re having this removed and french doors fitted once the RSJ is in place! Would make sense to get this done before the french doors are fitted so that the door can be brought down to the new level?

Sponsored Links
We had that and because we were tiling the floor we put extra insulation under the low side.

Something to consider! Would this not look odd where the door to the kitchen meets the hall though? Or would I gradually slope it towards the higher level?

You would have it so it’s level on the top.

we used the EPS stuff so it was bedded on tile adhesive to get near level. We used 20mm in what was the dining room and 6mm in what was the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back