Floor Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cottage is gutted and I am about to start the floor. My question, is, as it is all open at the moment, and I will be installing UFH. Before I lay the screed, should I lay out the bottom timbers for the stud walls, before the Screed is poured? So I avoid accidentally drilling though a UFH pipe when fixing these later on?

What is the normal order for this sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
You can mark out where the walls are going on the sub-floor and your plumber can then zone the UFH as per room and also stay well clear of the UFH pipes.

Or just fix the sole plates as you describe. You may need to fix a double fella depending upon the depth of the screed.

Thanks, just want to be sure I 100% avoid drilling into the UFH when fitting the walls.

Yes was thinking I would need a double as Screed will be 70mm

I will be laying in the UFH pipes myself, so room definition will help me.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Lay a bead of insulation too, 25mm for example, around all your wall stubs. Allows for thermal expansion of the slab. How much insulation are you putting under the screed?

Take photos, or a movie, of your pipes before the screed goes down. S/s screeds take a long time to dry, so be aware of this before fitting any floor coverings that require an adhesive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back