Floor Screeding - Question 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

A second question concerning screeding my floor. The area is about 15m2 @ 65mm thickness.

What will the impact if I cannot complete the job in a day and need to spread the work into two days? I decided to do the work myself as all quotes I have for completion are 2 man/1 day job @£200 per man totalling £400 which seems steep.

The finished floor will be laid with slate tiles which will be put down with a very strong tile adhesive - I put the same stuff down in the kitchen and it is strong stuff.

Regards

Adrian

Sponsored Links
If you are mixing and laying yourself allow more than 2 days - about 5 days should do it. That's if you can still move on day two? It is very hard work if you're not used to it. Personally I'd get readymix with fibres if that's still an option.

I'm not bothered about the work I know I can handle that, I dug the foundations for this job by hand (well, hand and shovel :D ). I have just read that the screed layer should be done in one day and I am querying if I need to finish next day what the impact could be if any?

I'm not bothered about the work I know I can handle that, I dug the foundations for this job by hand (well, hand and shovel :D ). I have just read that the screed layer should be done in one day and I am querying if I need to finish next day what the impact could be if any?

If it is a non-bonded screed over insulation (probably with fibres etc) it should be done in one day to avoid differential movement.

However (sounds like the case) if it is a bonded screed (bonded to concrete with cement slurry maybe with PVA or SBR), there should be no problem doing it in a few sections. Just spray the edges with water a while before you start work, then ensure the slurry coats the "edges" from the day before as well as the substrate.

Also note that if the screed is too damp it will shrink which can result in de-bonding. Good screeding is actually quite a skill.
It you are tiling over it however, the finish is not that important, and some uneveness can be taken out with, say 5mm bed of adhesive, or some levelling compound.

Simon.

Sponsored Links
It was slightly toungue in cheek but really don't underestimate it. I've hand dug dozens of foundations, wheelbarrowed all day long, laid bricks, laid 9" solid conkers, done just about everything. But I can promise you if you're not used to screeding it is a different thing. You're bent over on hands and knees and reaching out trowelling at arms length. It strains parts you didn't know you had and digging and barrowing doesn't prepare you for it.

As for the daywork joint. Previous days screed will still be quite soft 24 hours later so picking up where you left off is easy enough but the joint will be visible.

If going on top of insulation, you'd be best reinforcing with chicken wire.
That'll help to continue where you left off and make a stronger job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back