floor screeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have had a bit of advice from someone I do not know that well so I thought I would run it passed some experts..

I am about to screed a floor to a depth of 20-25mm. I know this is not deep enough for a standard screed mix so I have been asking around for some advice. I do not want the screed to crack.

Is it ok to mix Grano dust into the screed mix? He said to substitute half of the grit sand for Grano dust and mix 4:1 with cement. Have tryed to get hold of granite chippings with no luck..

Or is grano dust and granite chippings the same thing?? :confused:

any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
I use fibres in thin screeds, most BMs stock them and I've seen them in B&Qs, dont know about that grano stuff...... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Noseall,

You mentioned grano chippings. I have bought Grano dust is it one and the same thing? The reason I ask is that the dust I have bought is more like a black sand. It does not seem to have any chippings as such.

Oh dear! Best I take the dust back.

Any idea where I can get hold of the chippings????
Keyline sold me the dust but they don't do chippings

the problem with any screed is 'lift'

a thicker screed will have weight. therefore a thinner screed will be more vulnerable to separation.

increase the cohesive capacity by thoroughly wetting the substrate first. the granite mix will help contain the rigidity of the screed whether it lifts or not.

Stick some chicken mesh in to control cracking, mid-depth. 25 thick is pushing it, though...

Thanks again Nose all, I will keep the dust and use both as suggested. :D
Sorry to be a pain!!

Any idea where I can get hold of the chippings. I have searched on Google but can only get bulk bags (1 tonne or 1/2 tonne). I only need enough for 0.14m3 (6 bags).

Shytalk,

I don't know of any other way to get the level of the floor, upto the same level of the room I have knocked through too.

That was a mouthful!!!

I will be tiling over afterwards with 12mm natural stone..

the fact that you are tiling will help a great deal. an interlocking cement based floor covering will help with rigidity and make the whole floor more steadfast.

Thanks guys great advice.

Anyone know where to get the granite chippings?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back