Floor support post?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

We're currently working through knocking around an existing bedroom above a garage. This includes a new staircase, the existing of which took up a huge amount of space - so we're trying to rationalise and create as much floor space as possible.

Our architect, who unfortunately has gone awol had previously specified that we could install the new staircase and then increase the floor coming out over it by using a 100x100 corner post bolted to the rafters above to 'hang' a new small area of floor (1-2m2, none of my sketch is to scale!) above the new staircase. When we have now looked at this, the suggested corner post would finish directly in the middle of two rafters. So the question is, could the same design be used to 'prop' the floor instead of 'hang'? We would have doubled joists on hangers from the post which would also be bottled to newel post for new staircase.

I've included the drawing below. Red lines denote existing wall, red circle original suggested location of suspended corner post; green lines denote planned new edge of floor and green square approximate location of planned propped post. We've changed the staircase design so that it starts with a winder and therefore allows for potential larger floor area above. Again, my sketch isn't to scale so we would gain more floor area than this suggests, making it more worthwhile.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back