Floor tiles grout fur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at buying a house which is empty but one of the rooms has a ceramic tiled floor and the grout has furred/foamed up and is white in colour.
The seller says the foamy stuff is because the builder/bodger used the wrong grout?

Can any one shed any light on this

Also there is a smell of damp, possibly from the walls?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It is probably because the floor is damp. Water is coming up between the tiles and evaporating, and the mineral content of the water which is left behind is forming whiskery crystals.

If it will brush off, and dissolves in water, that encourages my belief.

The foam is dry and turns to powder when rubbed between the fingers.

If it is because of damp under the tiles will the tiles have to be taken up and a damp screed relaid before relaying the tiles again.

OR can the exsiting grout be replace with a cement type grout?

It is possible that the tiles were laid on newish concrete that had not dried out. This takes months.

In the UK, more often this is found in an old house, or one that has had a floor inexpertly laid, and there is no DPM. If there is a smell of damp this suggests that there is damp and the floor would need to come up and be done properly. It can also be caused by a leaking pipe in the floor.

Damp will soak into the walls from a damp floor.

It is probably not possible to determine the cause without taking it up.

Sponsored Links
coldcarib

Damp , an bad classic case ... my associate JohnD has found the problem ...
I will tile the lot for you Pro .... ;)

we could suss out on site ... just YOU pay flights /room /eXs ...

hope this can help

moz

JohnD
got passport , I Can take you .......:)

in the day(florida ) OH MY ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back