Floor tiling/heating newbie with a few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im tiling my kitchen, only 4mSq but quotes from professional tilers were round the £100 mark so figured i'd have a go myself being pretty good with most other DIY stuff.

Ive gone for a ceramic tile but its a matt black uneven finish, and the sudfloor is wood boards with a green colour (not sure what that means, i presume its like different plaster boards with colours to identify its use) anyway, im fitting an under tile heating system too.

In the under tile heating pack it says i can lay directly on the wood by rolling a sealer type solution onto the wood then the heating element on top of that then lay a self leveler and tile as normal, is this a good idea, it seems strange going straight onto wood (or does this solution i get in the heating pack stop the wood absorbing water from the tile adhesive?)

My first real question is what to use for the self leveler, does it need to be flexible, can anyone advise what to use?

Next, ive got a washer/dryer in the kitchen which makes the whole floor vibrate, will this have an effect on the finished fkoor. i can refrain from using the washer for about 2 weeks to let the floor properly dry but once cured, will the vibration make the tiles/grout crack?

those are my only concerns so far which is putting me off starting

thanks in advance

marc

Sponsored Links
Your existing floor is likely to be water resistant chipboard.

First thing is to secure this to the joists buy screwing.

You then need to reinforce this by either fitting 12mm wbp plywood screwed every 200mm or aquapanel glued and screwed (glued with rapidset flexible adhesive).

If you use ply you need to use the primer supplied with the heating, if you use aquapanel you don't need to ply it.

Fit the underfloor heating as per instructions, you need to test the wire at his point with a multimeter to check for resistance (make sure the cable is intact.

Now lay your tiles with rapidset flexible adhesive, allow to dry for 2 - 3 hours, grout with your chosen flexible grout, cleaning as you go and not allowing it to set on the surface of the tile.

The washing machine can go back in 24 hrs when the grout it set.

A guy quoted you £100 to do this and you turned him down? I'd like to have seen what specification He was going to use, theres £100 in materials alone for this job to be done correctly.

Mudster said:
A guy quoted you £100 to do this and you turned him down? I'd like to have seen what specification He was going to use, theres £100 in materials alone for this job to be done correctly.

The £100 was just labour, materials were on top but he said materials would be £40 which i checked by going to b&q and seeing how much grout and adhesive costs, which i priced at about £40ish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back