Floor tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a couple of questions about my upcoming tiling of the kitchen with ceramic tiles.
I am overboarding with 12mm ply. Can plasterboard screws be used for this. Also do screws need to be countersunk or pushed just below the surface without contersinking.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are you over boarding? Whilst 12mm WBP (not ordinary ply) is usually OK in light load/use bath/shower rooms, the minimum specified by BS & major tile adhesive manufacturers is 15mm. A kitchen is a heavy load/use area & I would advise either going to 15mm or replacing the floor with 22-25mm WBP & even that would be dependant upon floor joist size/pitch/span; sometimes the floor joists shave to be beefed up if there is too much flex. Ensure the original floor is well screwed down & fix the overboard using csk screws every 150mm through into the joists (check for pipes/cables) not just into the top of the original floor.

Use only quality trade flexible cement based adhesive/grout of the correct type for your tiles; steer clear of cheap DIY stuff. Also have a read through the tiling forum archive posts several posts on this in just the last week or so, it could just prevent you making some expensive mistakes.

You would have done better to post in Tiling ;)

If you are overboarding with either 12 or 15mm ply, tile adhesive at 3 to 5mm and floor tile at 10 -12mm, make sure your appliances, if they are free standing, will fit back under the worktop !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back