floor to ceiling height.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, can some body tell me what the minimum floor to ceiling height is allowed for a domestic extension.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No minimum height, except over a staircase (2000mm), though 2400mm is generally regarded as a nominal height.

7' 9" trust me.
7'-9" or around 2360mm is the norm (standard wall boards are only 2400mm) but, as already stated, there is no minimum requirement; in my experience, anything over 2150mm would be generally acceptable.

I'll let my Solicitor prepare the papers.

I'll also advise him to expect a flood of claims from the past 20 odd years from angry people where we have put ceilings in below the height you mentioned.

It may be useful if you could cite the relevant standard or regulation, and I'll pass this on to the local BCO's and tell them to get their act together.

:cool:

OK, Woody,
I'm just an old bricky, I don't want to fall out with anyone here, and I know that on existing buildings where there are extenuating circumstances that the normally accepted building regs can be relaxed.
However 7'9" (2.350m if you prefer) is the 'correct' minimum height which allows for a reasonable head room etc
Not to mention 2 or three course over the openings (with cill height falling naturally at the correct height for worktops etc.
So please don't beat me up if I don't have the time to go searching through the documentation to 'prove' what I say is true.
It is at least the normally accepted minimum height used through the latter part of the 20c.

OK, Woody,
I'm just an old bricky, I don't want to fall out with anyone here, and I know that on existing buildings where there are extenuating circumstances that the normally accepted building regs can be relaxed.
However 7'9" (2.350m if you prefer) is the 'correct' minimum height which allows for a reasonable head room etc
Not to mention 2 or three course over the openings (with cill height falling naturally at the correct height for worktops etc.
So please don't beat me up if I don't have the time to go searching through the documentation to 'prove' what I say is true.
It is at least the normally accepted minimum height used through the latter part of the 20c.
Got to agree with Woody, Shy & Eng33. Although there are many guides & standards that recommend a minimum cieling height for residential properties, there is nothing enforceable through Building Regs.

Ok,
Q
hi, can some body tell me what the minimum floor to ceiling height is allowed for a domestic extension.

A
Hi, Andy,
The recommended minimum is 2.350 m
Although this is not set in stone it will 'look right' when finished in most cases.

I don't think you'll fall out with anyone .

If you click on Shy's link above to a recent thread, I wrote about all (?) the relevent current info on ceiling heights.

The removal of a minimum height from the b/regs was sensible, as it allowed conversions and new build to be done based on a common sense approach.

I have seen some new build with 2.3m ceilings (well 2.275 really with carpet and plasterboard) and these really looked low when seen with the small room size. I really don't think anything lower would be commercially viable as it would put people off.

But with a garage, loft or other conversion, then a lower ceiling makes the difference between the conversion being a goer or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back