Floorboard Advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow Notters,

I have a question.

I'm currently renovating the floors in the project (dive) we bought, and using reclaimed boards to do so which are then being sanded filled and bleached. I've done about 70% of the house now and am now in the back bedroom which a has an old hearth that I'm boarding over as. I have managed to re-arranged some of the boards so they overlap the span and screw into the joists and are supported where they go over the concrete.

But there are 2 lengths that have to sit directly on the concrete. It is the original hearth so is about 120 years old and is pretty uneven, I did try and drill holes and insert raw plugs to screw the boards in to but in the hearth either crumbles or there are pebbles in the mix which are too hard to be drilled.

So does anybody out there have a cunning plan?

I thought of an grab adhesive to do the trick, is that a good idea? If so any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Grab adhesive may work, or may just come unstuck.

You could treat the hearth with diluted pva which will give a better surface to stick the boards to.

Maybe you could dig out a couple of sections and set a timber into it, using a runny cement slurry or similar so it wont lift out, then you'll have something sound to screw the boards into.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks regsmyth,

I tried the pva to give it extra adhesion but it didn't take.

I've now used fixing brackets underneath to attached it to the adjacent boards which has held in it position and the grab has padded it from the bottom so hopefully it will hold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back