Floorboards -squeak is moving!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the most dreadfully squeaky floorboards...running from the landing area into a bedroom...
The landing area was hacked up (badly) for the installation of central heating...I have lifted and re-screwed the boards as well as I can ...landing is now almost squeak free...but it made the bedroom worse -so I have screwed into the next joist along - and the squeak has moved further into the room....so I did the next joist - and it seems even worse...

None of the boards were obviously nailed/screwed down at all (makes it hard to find the joists!) - and the boards seem to have a slight upwards curve. Before the access I think they were long boards running from one bedroom wall across the landing and into the second bedroom wall...(house built 1970). Only have a problem with the 4 boards that were hacked...
I don't have a similar problem in the other bedroom...

Should I keep screwing into each joist along until I reach the wall? Or is there a better way....
Do I have to do 2 screws into each board -or could I get away with just one in the centre? Is there any point trying to just screw down into every second joists? Any other suggestions?
Talking 8 screws per joist, looking at needing to put in 40+ more screws - even with pilots drilled my electric drill is struggling and I have a blister on my hand already .....
:cry:

Sponsored Links
Never screw in the centre of a floor board!

When the boards were lifted, the central heating pipes are normally laid in the centre so buy you screwing there would cause a leak.

Remove the floor boards and mark where the pipes and joists are. Supply 2 screws per joist, this will also stop the floor boards from 'cupping', coming up at the edges.

Good luck and mind the pipes and cables.

PS Go and buy a cordless drill/driver.

Andy

Thanks... I bit the bullet and screwed along the 4 boards for 4 joists using 2 screws (32 screws!) still a bit squeaky - but now mainly under the bed!
have an electric screwdriver but it is one of those that is only suitable for putting flat pack together - and my drill does do screws -only it doesnt have a torque setting ...ended up chewing the driver bit! Maybe I do need a new one...

Interesting about the pipes running in the centre of floorboards...I know anyway my heating installation was a bit of bodge job - when I lifted the boards around there the installation hatch(es) -I found that one had been notched out for more than the whole width of a floor board - for one 22mm pipe - obviously didn't line up - :eek: I pulled some bits of joist out of the void (along with a couple of coffee cups, crisp packets and fag butts) and fixed them back on the joist and screwed into that ....another the notch is at the edge of a board - it just rests on the very edge can't fix it down - would split the board if you tried to -
if you tried to screw into at one side you would hit the pipes...guess the moral is to check with a detector...(which I have but it is a bit rubbish..doesn't detect joists very well.) :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back