Flooring c**kup QUICK REPLY NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Owing to a lack of experiences and being a numpty :( . I have covered all the wooden floorboards in my bathroom with normal 6mm ply in preparation for tiling instead of WBP ply. Yes I know that 12mm would also have been better but it would have raised level of floor too high.

Anyway...

Is there anything I can do with the current situation to improve it ready for tiling? i.e. with regard to waterproofing or strengthening.

I really don't what to rip it all up and start again.

Sponsored Links
You want to make non-waterproof plywood waterproof, and you want to make thin plywood stronger.

I think you already know the answer.

Maybe this is the type of reply you would prefer. :LOL:

You could seal the ply with PVA 2 coats I would guess, & make certain you fix the ply at close intervals about 300mm spacing.

Thats all I can offer.

Ideally you should replace it, but you could glue and screw another sheet of 6mm WBP ply over the top. Roll the glue out to give an all over coat then screw through into the floorboards.

Sponsored Links
Owing to a lack of experiences and being a numpty :( . I have covered all the wooden floorboards in my bathroom with normal 6mm ply in preparation for tiling instead of WBP ply. Yes I know that 12mm would also have been better but it would have raised level of floor too high.

Anyway...

Is there anything I can do with the current situation to improve it ready for tiling? i.e. with regard to waterproofing or strengthening.

I really don't what to rip it all up and start again.
you could use tanking solution to seal it and screw every 6" in all directions, for strength

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back