flooring loft for kids playroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,Ilive in a barratt new built home, I was wanting to floor the loft space to give kids a playroom,but guys at the gym were saying something about the joists not being thick enough,its something I have not got a clue about so any advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
And they're right !! The joists above your bedrooms are there to support your ceilings only. Add flooring to it and however many kids and their toys = too much weight = ceiling cracks..

Hi All,Ilive in a barratt new built home, I was wanting to floor the loft space to give kids a playroom,but guys at the gym were saying something about the joists not being thick enough,its something I have not got a clue about so any advice is welcome.

Hi There, thanks for the reply ,so is there no way around this problem, also what about flooring a small section just for storage space, thanks

Sponsored Links
As I'm sure you've realised now :( Mr Barratt didn't spend a penny more than necessary in building your house, so the joists will only be dimensioned to hold up the ceilings. However, both because they presumably expect you to store (light) items uo there and normal safety margins, you could board and store light stuff.

Since however this is a new house. what dimensions are your joists and what depth of insulation do you have ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back