flooring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got myself in a right mess here. I have a victorian terrace and in the downstairs toilet the floor had cracked and was unlevel so I removed two layers of screed(about 40mm) to reveil a solid brick floor. There is obviously no dpm in the floor. Ideally I was going to rescreed the floor(40mm) and them put a block floor down adhering it to the floor with a bitumen glue to act as dpm. I cannot make the screed any deeper as the doorway into the room is darn low as it is and you would smack your head if I highered the floor any more. Is what I propose possible or can anyone give any suggestions please because I always seem to get it wrong thankyou dan290571

Sponsored Links
If it's victorian, then unless you've got a cellar or coal vault, the brick floor is probaly just laid on earth. You can take the bricks up (avoiding the wall footings) and dig it out as much as you want, then lay a new concrete floor with plastic dpc.

If you want to put in an underfloor safe to hide your money in, now's the time to do it ;)

Hi there you can also use a product called sealdeck made by laybond flooring. Thisis a two part epoxy surface menbrane which will seal the floor before you screed over. available from good floor trade suppliers :!:

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the bricks to see if they are easy to get out, if they are I can concrete, if not I will probably go with the other option. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
bear in mind that the screed will be unbonded and so 40mm is too thin really, hence why the floor has cracked.An un bonded screed should really be 65mm minimum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back