Floor's misbehavin'...!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm currently working on an insulation & re-lining project in my 'outhouse/utility' (some previous info & background here : //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/to-tank-or-not-to-tank-that-is-sort-of-the-question.464381/ but as this subject suggests, this thread is regarding the floor...)

As mentioned in the previous thread, the original floor had a 50mm sand-cement/concrete 'topping' but without any DPM when laid and was uneven too. My plan for the floor is as follows :

- Liquid DPM
- Latex self-levelling compound (to both level the unevenness and sandwich the dpm at the same time...)
- Poly sheet (to protect the insulation sitting above)
- 25mm PIR insulation
- Poly sheet (VCL)
- 18mm T&G chipboard (floating)
- Then a final floor finish.. possibly some underlay & laminate but not 100% yet....

I contacted a tech advice regarding the compatibility of a liquid DPM being used in conjunction with the self-leveller and that was fine provided SBR was used to seal & prime once the liquid DPM was down and dry...

I went ahead with the liquid DPM.. first sealing the floor with a dilute mix, then applying 3 coats (with about 24hrs drying between coats..).. This went well with no issues...

I then applied a dilute SBR/water mix (1:3) and let it dry fully...

When dry, I then applied a neat SBR over the top and let it get 'tacky'...

Then on to the latex self-leveller..

I had 2x 20kg bags to lay.. this would give me about a 4mm thickness on the floor. Each bag needed 4 litres of water. I had some spare SBR so thought I'd add some into the self-leveller mix (My thinking here was that the greater degree of 'flexibility' could only help with there being a 'somewhat flexible' rubberised coating beneath..)... So, for each bag I mixed a 1.5L latex liquid (1:4 SBR/water) and added that with 2.5L plain water to make a total of 4Litres for each bag.

The two bags of self-leveller were mixed/poured/levelled with no problems and I was very happy with the result. It seemed to dry/harden normally and I left it over-night to be safe before walking on it etc...

All appeared to be fine and dandy for the next stage, except :

- It seems to be ultra-absorbent in that if you place the palm of your hand (or a bare knee) on the floor for 30 seconds an outline/image will be left on the floor (which will eventually disappear once the moisture evaporates...) - almost like one of those 80s/90s colour-change t-shirts..!

- Secondly (and more worryingly) : I left some items on the floor overnight lastnight (which included a metre square of plastic sheeting (loosely laid), some tape still in its cellophane wrapper, an old sheet of laminate flooring, and a pair of rubber flip flops!)... The plastic sheeting and laminate were damp underneath with water droplets on their underside; the tape and the flip-flops left outline marks where they'd been which have since now disappeared...

So folks.. What is going on here...?!?! I can't believe that the liquid dpm has failed and this is damp from the ground below... So, is the self-leveller absorbing moisture from the air which is then condensing on anything impervious placed on the surface..??

With the plastic sheeting to go on the floor next, what should I do...?!? Is it an idea to seal the self-leveller first (with something like a diluted SBR mix) before the sheeting goes down..? Or just plough ahead and lay the sheet and insulation on-top..?

Appreciate your thoughts on this one....

Thanks as always..!

Sponsored Links
A further thought.....

Is the self-leveller in fact still just drying-out after being laid...? Having re-checked the product drying times, it states the following :

To lay floor covering : 16 hours approx. at 20'C
Re-surfacing : 4 weeks before protective coating

I'm guessing a poly sheeting would class as a "protective coating"..?

Are ventilation and time my best bet with this one..? Would a dehumidifier (on low) be a recipe for cracking..?

Tah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back