flue advise pls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Ok, first time on this site hope I make sense. I have the following and will be updating to the rest;

Old

Baxi Bermuda 552 (back boiler & fire)

New

Combi Boiler
New gas fire

How will I know the fire fitters arent over charging me?

The flue is currently lined for the back boiler & fire therefore can this lining be reuesd for my gas fire?

My new boiler is being installed today and will be finished wed 17/9/08, do I get this lining removed? As it will cost £80 to do so using the fire fitters but is including in the price for the new boiler.

My doubt is: that I remove the lining and the flue fails the smoke test and then reqiures new lining at a cost £325 according to the fire store.

Can anybody help me?

Ian[/img]

Sponsored Links
Why have a fire at all? for the amount of gas that they consume the heat very little.. I suggest that an electric "flame effect" heater would be a better bet.. No flue issues and potentially cheaper to run

Thanks for your reply

But the wife has the fire ordered and is coming at the end of sept and it must be gas as it looks better, she says.....

Sponsored Links
Your supposed to remove the linner. Theres no reason why it should fail the smoke test. The hole is still there

Surely it depends on what the installation instructions for the fire say.

Edit: Are you sure the vents are from the same chimney?

They can leave the liner in but it should be cut flush with the polo and sealed with fire cement. Its a good idea (and a must with some manufacturers) that it be swept prior to fitting the new fire.

While the flue liner might not perforated, recommendation is it should be replaced around 15th birthday. But any that have had to be removed were in good order.

If you remove the liner and then discover the chimney is defective, another liner will need to be fitted.

I would be more concerned with the boiler installation. Is the gas line sized correctly (i.e. are you still getting 20mbars at the boiler when it is fired in HW mode with all other gas appliances running). Is the installation sound at elevated system pressure. Has the system been cleaned to remove sediment that built up during the life of previous boiler (simple drain down and then refill is no good).

They can leave the liner in but it should be cut flush with the polo and sealed with fire cement. Its a good idea (and a must with some manufacturers) that it be swept prior to fitting the new fire.

W T F is a "Polo"?

I have been in the trade for 30 years ,I have never heard this before.

Is it some colloqial expression?

Normal practice is to fit a collector box in the builders opening and connect this to the liner.
(Unlesss you did your training under the supervision of a cattle farmer)

Just removing the liner is not sufficient on its own!

The terminal needs to be removed and either leave the chimney open or refit a pot.

Most fires designated as suitable for a flue liner need a 125 mm as compared with the boiler 100 mm. However as always the manufacturer's instruction take precedence.

Tony

W T F is a "Polo"?

I have been in the trade for 30 years ,I have never heard this before.

Is it some colloquial expression?
A polo is what we oop north call the concrete sealing slab with a hole in the middle for the copex to pass through ;)

poxy quote button

If anybody in North Devon has any 100mm stainless flexible flue liner offcuts of 500mm or more I would be pleased to buy them from you. I intend to join them to a rigid 100mm pipe.

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back