flue route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be OK to duct a kitchen extractor straight through the wall into a garage, or would there be fire regulations issues? Would I have to duct it right through the garage to the outside using fireproof ducting? If so, where can you get fireproof ducting? A lot of the plastic ducting claims to be "flame retardent", but is this adequate?

SimplePimple, please note forum rules 20 & 2
Your post has been split and moved

Sponsored Links
Don't know about any reg's but if my garage (internal to the extended house now) needed a ceiling of double layered plasterboard to meet the regs (at the time). Then I suppose you could box your flue with double plasterboard??

regards

its a kitchen extractor it won't get hot enough to worry about.

chappers said:
its a kitchen extractor it won't get hot enough to worry about.
I thought he was talking about fire in garage entering into kitchen via flue. Having a fire in the garage may be the more serious if there is petrol involved, especially if the garage is internal.

Sponsored Links
simplepimple -your right when you say that the extract will have to go to outside air.

i dont know of any firerated ducting.

you could use a fire rated extract fan (with intuemescent foam)whihc would be fitted on the kitchen/garage wall. The intumescent fitting would expand at a certain tempreture to block off the hole in the event of a fire.

or you could box the entire ducting in in 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back