Flue sited in 3-sided car port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a carport installed on the side of our house, agains the L shape building of our kitchen and extension study-library. Unfortunately, when we had an EON engineer come last week we were told that the boiler flue was not at the right position and we would have to remove part of our carport roof, which would defect the object of having a carport in the first place. The flue exit is at 2m from the floor, about 40cm from the mouth of the carport and although we do not have a 2 open-sided carport, we thought it was alright. Our boiler has the expansion vessel which needs changing, but the engineer refuses to do the job until we have demolished the carport roof. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
We have had a carport installed on the side of our house, agains the L shape building of our kitchen and extension study-library. Unfortunately, when we had an EON engineer come last week we were told that the boiler flue was not at the right position and we would have to remove part of our carport roof, which would defect the object of having a carport in the first place. The flue exit is at 2m from the floor, about 40cm from the mouth of the carport and although we do not have a 2 open-sided carport, we thought it was alright. Our boiler has the expansion vessel which needs changing, but the engineer refuses to do the job until we have demolished the carport roof. Any advice?

Tell him to get on with it.

Unless the prv is incorrectly terminated of course in which case BG would at risk it and refuse to work on it ;)

Only joking...................... or am I?

Sponsored Links
Unless the prv is incorrectly terminated of course in which case BG would at risk it and refuse to work on it ;)

Only joking...................... or am I?

Depends if you get a lazy arsed skiver who will make any excuse to not do something or someone who wants to just fix the boiler & advise how to rectify installation issues ;)

If the company policy is not to work on At Risk appliances then he is right. The chances of anything going wrong on your installation is miniscal but he is only going by the rule book.
Take a couple of panels off let them fix it and replace after the repair .

Doesnt help with that front bit of canopy either

I don't know much about boilers, but for my one you can get a flue elbow and extension that would allow it to go either up through the roof, or sideways outside the carport. It is a proper manufacturer's part intended for this kind of job.

On a condensing boiler the flue only gets as warm as a teapot so the temperature should not be a problem.

I would have thought an independent local boiler engineer could fit one for you cheaper than EON.

John above does not seem to know much about flues either.

The flue cannot be taken upwards unless the correct components are used for a vertical flue. Spacings and other aspects are involved and work on a flue has to be by a registered engineer.

Most manufacturer's instructions give details of what they allow and dont allow in respect of a carport.

If your installation is classed as at risk then the engineer could replace the EXV but would be expected to then leave the boiler switched off.

Before fitting a carport its best to take advice on any flue in the vincinity. I have even seen nupty builders who build conservatories over boiler flues.

Tony

Hello everybody, may I thank you all for the many replies I received. We had an Area Manager from EON come this morning and after having checked the flue and the carport situations he decided that his engineer was right to notify us of the risk factor but incorrect as the amount of air flow is normal causing no risk - the engineer wanted to cover his back which we can appreciate. Now everything seems in order. Again, ta everybody. Chantal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back