Flue through Valley - Need local trade to sort please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

We install wood burning stoves and unfortunately made the huge mistake of running a flue partially through a valley. Something we will most definitely never do again!

We've gone through hundreds of roofs without a hitch but this one is causing us some hassle and we need advice on what needs to be done or preferably someone to come and sort it out.

I'd rather not remove the flue from the valley but if this is the only way it will be sorted we can do.

We've had a couple of roofers have a go at it and they have lessened the amount of water coming in dramatically but there's still a trickle.

I did tell them to re-lead the entire gulley with brand new proper lead as from new it was done with Alto-Lead and then it has been done with Cromapol which I don't like. For some reason they didn't do this and replaced some section of felt and such instead.

Basically we need a proper job doing to fix it once and for all. I don't want to return to it again.

What are your thoughts and any takers? Please see photos.

photo+1.JPG

photo+2.JPG

photo+3.JPG

photo+4.JPG

photo+5.JPG

Sponsored Links
It is not a difficult thing to sort out. You need to board out behind the flue and form a proper lead burnt collar around the flue and over the lower section of the valley. The higher section of the valley dresses over the lead burnt weather slate.

Agree with the above.

We just had to build and join a new pitched roof onto an existing pitched roof (perpendicular to) around a chimney meaning the chimney bisected the valley created by the two roofs smack in the centre!

The lead-work was done with great care and patience. Lots of lap. nice upstands. Deep chases. Careful with slopes to back gutters.

If we'd had the choice we would have demolished the chimney. There is not enough money in Bill Gates's bank account to persuade me to take a flue through a roof smack in the middle of a valley!

We've had a couple of roofers have a go at it .

I did tell them to re-lead the entire gulley with brand new proper lead as from new it was done with Alto-Lead and then it has been done with Cromapol which I don't like. For some reason they didn't do this and replaced some section of felt and such instead.

]
That`s roofers for you :LOL: did they park up near your office - on their travels . Google the Lead Sheet Association - you might find someone who has half an idea - or you might even find an Old Skool plumber that still does leadwork

Sponsored Links
Measure twice and cut once.

As the proximity is close to the outer wall, wouldn't it have been better/easier to have brought the flue through outer wall at ground level and run the pipe up the wall.
Saves a lot of hassle cutting through the ceilings/floors with all the fireproofing.
But as the others have said, you need to strip a decent area around the flue and fit a lead slate over, with a weather collar above junction of lead slate and flue.
If you have had the lead valley re-newed, why the need for acropyyl.

Cotswoldbuilders - the valley hasn't been renewed, that's the issue. I wanted it renewing but the roofer didn't do it. It also has a lead slate with a storm collar. The client didn't want it taking out of the wall otherwise I would have. Normally I'd rather go through a roof than a wall. Looks a tidier install. Won't go through a valley again though.

Everyone else - cheers for the help and advice. Anyone in the area willing to take this on? I'm not a roofer and need it sorting by a pro!

Hi Fahrenheit,

I am a Leadwork & Roofing contractor from York and I am also Hetas registered so I understand your plight.

Palaceray and Noseall were completely right in what they say.

Please have a look at my profile and get in touch if you still need this problem resolving, I would be happy to help. It is certainly achievable if done correctly.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Could the pipe not have been first offset to go through a tile and not the valley or does it have to be a dead straight flue? :confused:

The flue could have been off-set but it would take up more of the room and it isn't a massive room to start with.

If I ever come accross a situation like this again I'll insist that the flue goes out of the wall on the first floor saving a lot of hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back