FLUELESS GAS FIRES

JR5

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Going to a service soon on a flue less gas fire that is giving off a smell when it is turned on. Is the Cat Convertor possibly blocked or may there be something more sinister. The fire is very dirty the customer informs me.

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
I keep getting asked to service the damned things.
I won't do anything except take them out, because of the paperwork.

The forms you have to fill in when a customer dies, go on forever.

Sponsored Links
I keep getting asked to service the damned things.
I won't do anything except take them out, because of the paperwork.

The forms you have to fill in when a customer dies, go on forever.

I concur, jeez here we go again. The thing is, to be an RGI you have to be reasonably intelligent. How then, can so many write such a lot of carp. ONE fatality - and ANY gas fire is dangerous under cetain circumstances, which is why we have rules and procedures which the fitter in that sad case did not comply with.

Like any appliance, properly installed and regularly serviced at appropriate intervals AND if used in accordance with the user's instructions they are reasonably safe.

BUT combine a manufacturer's fault with a lazy and unqualified installer then problems can arise, including deaths!

The OP seems to be going to jobs where others have been fiddling. He did not say if it was another person in his firm, a DIYer or another registered gas engineer. That is not a good senario particularly with flueless fires.

Hi all

Having problems with this particular boiler. Innitially I was getting hot water and no heating, 3 way valve changed. All ok. I had a look at the boiler because the fan decided not to come on, hoses to the pressure switch were off. I put them back on, all ok. Left the property.

Thanks

Tony

I refuse to have any non-room sealed gas burning appliances in the house. That goes for boilers, water heaters, fires, ovens and hobs......are there any others?

I just think the risk of death from either unburnt gas or flue gases is too high.

The OP seems to be going to jobs where others have been fiddling. He did not say if it was another person in his firm, a DIYer or another registered gas engineer.

Tony
he also posted this in plumbing section even though it is gas related. is the OP actually qualified to do the work? if he is then he can reask inthe relevant section.

I refuse to have any non-room sealed gas burning appliances in the house. That goes for boilers, water heaters, fires, ovens and hobs......are there any others?

I just think the risk of death from either unburnt gas or flue gases is too high.

There is a case on record where a fatality occured from an electric storage heater that gave off Co , in a bedroom !

Flueless fires one fatality on record , electric storage heater one fatality , I also beleive there have been 3 incidents with condensing room sealed boilers ??

Like any appliance, properly installed and regularly serviced at appropriate intervals AND if used in accordance with the user's instructions they are reasonably safe.

BUT combine a manufacturer's fault with a lazy and unqualified installer then problems can arise, including deaths!

The OP seems to be going to jobs where others have been fiddling. He did not say if it was another person in his firm, a DIYer or another registered gas engineer. That is not a good senario particularly with flueless fires.

Hi all

Having problems with this particular boiler. Innitially I was getting hot water and no heating, 3 way valve changed. All ok. I had a look at the boiler because the fan decided not to come on, hoses to the pressure switch were off. I put them back on, all ok. Left the property.

Thanks

Tony

Yes combine that with a lazy manufacturer and their iso 9000 or whatever total *******s they claim and hey, one lazy fitter goes to prison and one lazy manufacturer who let out more than one faulty appliance gets off scott free, I wont fit them for 2 reasons, one is "I" don't consider them safe when there are safer alternatives, and out of "principle" "I" wont give money to or condone a manufacturer who got fuk all in terms of prosecution or lose their worthless iso blahblah.

Out of principle I wont ever buy a BMW, if you want to know why look into the closure of a bridleway in Oxford, Bullying Mardy ******s, they wont get a penny of my money.

this an old chest nut truth is
u can trust them as u can`t check if products are safe if cat fails and their is no training course on them and their no things to watch out for if it starting to fail

unlike cookers which yes are flueless but are only used short periods time most people open window or put extracter fan on when using it long periods as get rid steam or other products

On the burley flueless fires the catalytic convertor is not a safety device & they are tested to fail safe with the catalytic convertor disabled .

there is a post on this forum on the subject from Burley !!

On the burley flueless fires the catalytic convertor is not a safety device & they are tested to fail safe with the catalytic convertor disabled .

there is a post on this forum on the subject from Burley !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back