Fluorescent lighting to a three pin plug (Problems)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to wire a fluorescent light to a plug socket for my garage.

For some reason when i plug it in it just flickers at the top of one of the tubes once and then nothing else?

I am using a 13a fuse is this to much?

I have attached pic 1 to show how i have wired it?

Pic 2 i was not sure of? is it an emergency back up? does this need to be wired in?

Sponsored Links
It is an emergency backup battery, you don't need to connect it if you don't want to I guess;

Try putting your Live into L1 rather than just L, as I suspect L is your permanent live and L1 is your switched live

Yes, it is an emergency fitting.
You'd normally have a permanent live to it and a switch live to switch it on/off.
It isn't really suitable for running off a plug, twin and earth isn't made for plugs either!!

Sponsored Links
An emergency fitting is worth way more than a normal fluoro anyway, just flog it to a sparks and get him to fit you a normal one - everyone's happy!

Change the twin and earth to flex

then inside the fitting, link out switched live and permanant live, it'll work then.

And the odds on the OP having ferrules and a crimping tool are?

Not sure wether ferrules would fit anyway.

And the odds on the OP having ferrules and a crimping tool are?

Not sure wether ferrules would fit anyway.

About the same as him knowing the difference between T&E and flex. And as we can see from him cramming some old red and black T&E into an ugly old plug..

And yes, ferrules would fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back