Fluorescent lighting to a three pin plug (Problems)

Push terminals aren't made for flex though, are they?

I have only ever seen them wired with flex :confused:

I think he's meaning not suitable for stranded wire rather than a single core wire, in which case the former can be used with a booty.

I'm guessing 'booty' is an odd regional term for ferrule?

Yes, when I seek a booty call at 3am, I've ran out of ferrules.

Booty (bootlace) ferrule.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.

I only used T&E on a second unit as a mock up as there is not good light in the garage to take a pic of the already fitted unit. i have used flex on that!

I have changed terminals and now the green light on the unit come on but nothing more.

I agree though if this is outside of my ability flogging them on and getting simpler units may be the way forward.

Thanks again.

I have changed terminals and now the green light on the unit come on but nothing more.

Did you link out (join) the permanant live and switched lives (both live terminals in the light)

Usually get 'em going unless the ballast or emergency unit has shot itself. If the latter, it can be taken out and ballast wired direct. Nice little Friday night project for you whilst I'm in the pub drinking Oxfordshires finest ales.

Sponsored Links
Push terminals aren't made for flex though, are they?

I have only ever seen them wired with flex :confused:

I think he's meaning not suitable for stranded wire rather than a single core wire, in which case the former can be used with a booty.

No, not with ferrules, just flex/stranded cable straight into the fitting.

Binned a fitting the other day that was wired just like that

Yeah, actually the push terminals where you push a clip at the top will work with stranded. I've got six of them to do Monday, actually.

It might get it going but seems such a waste!! Either install them properly (hard wired) or use a simple fitting.

Yeah, actually the push terminals where you push a clip at the top will work with stranded. I've got six of them to do Monday, actually.

Yea I thought that was the whole point of the clip - to push into the strands.

Push fittings that work like Wago, Line etc are obviously no good for stranded cable

Did you link out (join) the permanant live and switched lives (both live terminals in the light)

Usually get 'em going unless the ballast or emergency unit has shot itself. If the latter, it can be taken out and ballast wired direct. Nice little Friday night project for you whilst I'm in the pub drinking Oxfordshires finest ales.

Brilliant all working well! Appreciate your help in getting me to the pub early!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back