Fluorescent tube replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Utility room has a 4 ft tube that is taking longer and longer to get started. Do I need a new tube or a new 'starter' (whatever that is) as per the leaflet?

Can't find a 'Ring' online - can I use any 4 ft tube?

Attachments

• fl tube 2.jpg
    fl tube 2.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
If you can find any Flou replacement, stick with it SO SO much cheaper than any LED system, evn in the long run. Additionally you will have the light you are happy with and there is a high risk you may not like the LED version. I've lost count of the LED fittings I've reverted back to Fluo

If you can find any Flou replacement, stick with it SO SO much cheaper than any LED system, evn in the long run. Additionally you will have the light you are happy with and there is a high risk you may not like the LED version. I've lost count of the LED fittings I've reverted back to Fluo
How so?LED Same price to buy 1/2 the wattage

Sponsored Links
How so?LED Same price to buy 1/2 the wattage
Where are you getting your prices, I'm finding LED tubes are twice the price of Fluo, my calculations & observations indicate a shorter life span than Fluo. ie a more expensive tube lasting a shorter time which is unlikely to be offset by the reduced power consumption.

Many people are finding LED replacement tubes appear to not produce as much light and/or complain about flicker.

I haven't been looking at prices for a while and don't know very recent trends.

EDIT Just looked at TLC prices for:
1200mm: 36W flou 3350lm = £3.06, 18W LED 2165lm = 7.85
1500mm: 58W fluo 5200lm = £3.26, 24W LED 4000lm = 9.18

working on 1/3 life span is ~8 times capital outlay and ~70% light level.

Last edited:
Screwfix still sell the tubes - £4 for 4ft. If you are in and out of the room a lot you could replace with led (I'd go with led lamps rather than led batten fitting myself).
I've got one led batten that fell off the back of somewhere- it's great in the caravan or van cos you can be quite rough with it and not smash it, also it'll run on my cheap invertor.

Thanks. As always interesting debate.

Can anyone link to an appropriate LED with price Vs an appropriate Fluorescent with price?

starter? Where and how?

an appropriate LED with price Vs an appropriate Fluorescent with price?
not applicable, since it's not a case of replacing the fluorescent tube with a 'LED tube'.

It's either find a fluorescent tube from somewhere that still has any
or replace the entire fitting with an LED one. Screwfix have cheapo ones. Much better examples available elsewhere.

Fluorescent tubes will be gone forever in a few months time.
After that, it's the usual thing where they might be available from a few places that have hoarded stock to sell at inflated prices.

starter? Where and how?
Item 6 in the instructions you included in the original post.
Like the tubes, such things will not be available for much longer.

Thanks. As always interesting debate.

Can anyone link to an appropriate LED with price Vs an appropriate Fluorescent with price?

starter? Where and how
Starter from Screwfix or similar. If the starter is on its way the tube will be flickering several times before finally lighting up.
LED- again Screwfix have a cheap 4' for £19. It's half the power of the Florrie but only 2/3rd of the light output. You can do the sums yourself.
If you do decide to buy a new tube, might be wise to buy 2 or 3. ( I bought a box of 25 for the garage lights about 7 years ago. Should see me out.....not had to replace any yet :) )

Have you tried taking the tube down and give it a really good stroking? (cleaning)
I don't know who it was that first suggested this to me due to slow starting but he was definitely in tweed and smoking a pipe.
Bad starter in my experience usually manifests itself as multiple attempts to setup the arc cycle (that's a really rough handed way to describe what's happening) but this covers it more intelligently.

If you change the starter get an electronic one. Costs a bit more, but less stain starting the tube which then lasts a lot longer.

Where are you getting your prices, I'm finding LED tubes are twice the price of Fluo, my calculations & observations indicate a shorter life span than Fluo. ie a more expensive tube lasting a shorter time which is unlikely to be offset by the reduced power consumption.

Many people are finding LED replacement tubes appear to not produce as much light and/or complain about flicker.

I haven't been looking at prices for a while and don't know very recent trends.

EDIT Just looked at TLC prices for:
1200mm: 36W flou 3350lm = £3.06, 18W LED 2165lm = 7.85
1500mm: 58W fluo 5200lm = £3.26, 24W LED 4000lm = 9.18

working on 1/3 life span is ~8 times capital outlay and ~70% light level.
Led can be had for a £5 and far outlast fluorescent , always found mine flicker free while fluorescent have an annoying strobe effect and light output drastically reduces with age . LED gave nice crisp light.

LEDs also reduce light output with age. Very noticeable with LED clocks. Tubes will do the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back