Flushing Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Keston 80 boiler (piece of poo) seems to have a small hole in the heat exchanger, as a trickle of water is flowing out via the condensate pipe at the bottom.
2 questions here: would you recommend replacing the heat exchanger (yet to be ascertained as faulty, I looked up the price and it's about £550.) and how do I go about a power flush for my system. Mostly fairly old rads, but some new. standard fully pumped system with a grundfos electronic modulating pump.
Which is a good power flush machine and where would I hire one from.
Thanks guys.

PS Anyone got a new or secondhand Keston 80 heat exchanger for sale.

Sponsored Links
Captain Haddock said:
My Keston 80 boiler (piece of poo) seems to have a small hole in the heat exchanger, as a trickle of water is flowing out via the condensate pipe at the bottom.

Condensing boilers will trickle water out all the time, that is what they are supposed to do :rolleyes: or have i not read into this properly?

No its not worth repairing for anything near £500.

If you have the boiler replaced the a powerflush should be done aswell as standard procedure.

From what i understand your saying its leaking where the connection off the HE goes to the condense trap?? May be repairable but not it the HE needs replacing!

Thanks for this. The water is leaking slowly from within the heat exchanger, then out via the 3/4" outlet pipe.
OK assuming the boiler is no longer worth repairing, 6 1/2 years old, but now discontinued, which make should I go for.
A straightforward swap for another Keston is obvious, as the boiler is in a cupboard in the kitchen. It has 28mm piping, and the flue in and out is done on 1 1/2 standard waste pipe. This is a feature of Keston boilers. If I replace with a Vailiant or whatever people recommend, I will need to move the boiler to be in the next door garage, as I do not want the 4" vent to be on the front of the house.
So, any thoughts and recommendations on which is currently the best and most reliable boiler please, cheers.
Haddock.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant best choice! But up to you if you want to move it or keep where it is. New Kestons need 50mm (2") waste as flue. I would never fit a Keston out of choice, but its your money you takes your choice!

cor gas do you get a nifty everytime you big up vaillant or what??

;)

Now that would be really telling :LOL: I just believe in what I fit, until I get let down and embarrassed infront of customer :rolleyes:

I know there are many other good makes around but I only recommend what I fit and I can rely on. Its the confidence factor that I have banged on about before, and if and when I shout, although very very rarely, Vaillant listen and respond very quickly ;)

I know I was just pulling your leg

How about a nice gorlsch and a barcadi chaser matey ;)

Funny you should mention that :LOL: Unfortunately I'm out of Grolsch :LOL: But after a reluctant visit to Mother in Laws I am full up with Bacardi, but have always got room for another :LOL:

Incidentally in response to an earlier post, water is coming out regardless of wheather the boiler is on or off, hence why I suspect a hole in the HE.
Ta.

We do have a new Keston 80 HE in stock which you would have to email us to enquire about, see profile for email address.

I would however agree that it might be better to consider replacing the boiler with a model which is more reliable. A repair is always cheaper at the time but not always in the long run.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back