flushing rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well got a Sime ff 80 e combi ( :cry: ) which is shot...had a quote which seems a bit high...want to cut the price down by doing the things that I can do myself.
System been in since 1999 and was wondering if it is necessary to flush out the rads and if taking them off with the old hosepipe method will sort out most of the rubbish in them?
The company recommends there jet system but this makes an expensive job way ott.
Ta Dave
Ps yes I am getting some more quotes (pressume forum rules means cant talk about quotes :confused: )

Sponsored Links
If you can take the rads off and wash them out with the garden hose, that will help a lot. After re-assembly, run it with Sentinel 400 for a couple of weeks which will loosen what's left. Fernox also make good chemicals. Cheaper brands may not be so good.

I would strongly recommend a Magnaclean (will cost you £100 or less) which will trap circulating black sediment (you will never get it all out).

Get it clean BEFORE you fit the new boiler.

Two weeks after a good flush and clean, I got this out of a Magnaclean
POL_0165.jpg

POL_0168.jpg

(I got very much more out while cleaning it)

Be aware that your installer will probably not guarantee it against sediment problems if he does not power flush it himself. A magnaclean is advisable even if he does, so is running it on X400 for a couple of weeks first.

John D thanks for the quick reply. My problem is that although the boiler is working I am trying to use it as little as possible as I keep getting an electrical burning smell which has been suggested a melted switch. I am therefore using it very little (just to wash up etc then off) as the heating seems to have to be on to get hot water!!!
Therefore putting a chemical in it and running it is a tad difficult..... dunno what to do really other than stump up alot of doe for the jet or as said clean them out/jet wash etc the rads off outside?
Ta dave :rolleyes:

having it mended will be cheaper than buying a new one, also cheaper than a powerflush.

Sponsored Links
Ah , I forgot to mention was the boiler is stuck on unless turned off at the mains even turning down the thermostat....plus no one seems to want to work on the sime!!! I managed to get the divertor valve done last year with advice from here did it myself. Just thought maybe biting the bullet and getting a new boiler as I keep hearing ' they only last 8years..'
Thanks John

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back