Flushing UFH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What ho one and all,

Noticed a very pale green(ish) colour in the flow valves on my UFH. Can only conclude that it is some kind of algae growth.

Have spoken with the people who supplied the system and they say that there should not be any need for inhibitor in the system. There is none anyway. I don't know what metal the inside of the boiler is (it's a Viessmann) but to the best of my knowledge, there is only copper (flow / return to manifolds), brass (some compression fittings), stainless steel (heated towel rail and manifolds) and of course, the plastic coated UFH pipes.

What would be recommended? Flushing the system is obviously possible but should I run some kind of 'growth remover' through and if so, what/

Toodle pip and thanks

Rex

Sponsored Links
The system should have been sanitised (X700) before commissioning to avoid bacterial growth due to the lower temp/flow.

The installers recommended that no inhibitor is needed? Anywhere there is a mix of metals then I would suggest that inhibitor should also be included.

I was the installer, but the company that I purchased all the bits and pieces from. They are not a large company but neither are they a 'fly by night' internet ripyouoff. I do think they a OK, but never having built a house before this one, I could only take advice and since the system has (I hope) no steel in it, that was the advice.

But I am where I am; would X700 be of any use now?

Yes, X700 would so be a good idea, though it'll be a bu99er to get it into the system now that the pipes are full of water!

Sponsored Links
OK. But how does one get it into a system when the pipes are not full of water?

To the best of my knowledge, when the system is water tight, there is only one way to fill it and that is via the filling loop from the cylinder (in my case.)

OK. But how does one get it into a system when the pipes are not full of water?

To the best of my knowledge, when the system is water tight, there is only one way to fill it and that is via the filling loop from the cylinder (in my case.)

Let's have a photo of your manifold matey! That's a good starting point.......(y)

Usually a very pale greenish colour would be caused by copper salts.

My bet would be that there are soldered joints in the copper and that X300 was not used to cleanse the system of residual flux before filling .

I would just do a dynamic flush to wash it out without letting air in.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back