Flymo - is there a way to bypass the cut out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Flymo mower (the sort with wheels, not the type that hovers) that has worked very well for several years. This year it has started to cut out every few minutes. The problem seems to be that it has a cut-off switch that is supposed to cut the mower's power when the grass box is full. However, it is now cutting out when it's only about 1/4 full. When I empty it, it works again until it gets another 1/4 full! I wondered if anyone else has encountered this issue and perhaps knows of a way to disable it?! Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
suspect the grass may be clogging the airflow have you got any filters you can clean!!!

Hi - just had the same problem but have sussed out the answer. The grass box lid has a cut out which is enabled when the box is closed, BUT if the lid is pushed upwards by the grass when full then it opens the cut out switch. Now my mower is 7 years old and started cutting out all the time, what has happened is the actuator for the cut out has worn down and the air pressure in the box is now sufficient to trip the cut out. You can test this by flexing the box lid up from the sides when closed and hear the cut out operate. The fix took 2 minutes to do by sticking a 1" length of door draught excluder on top of the grey flexible bit directly above the cut out button. Any queries then let me know. You've probably bought a new mower by now!! Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back