Focal Point Aries Gas Fire

Nixt said:
Once again apologies. For a brief moment I thought I read something similar to the above. But must have missed the bit that said (I did everything except for the gas pipework, flue, ventilation, commissioning and building control certs).

Sorry Nixt, it is I who should apologise. You see by writing what I did I assumed that the reader(s) would think that "everything except the gas pipework" meant all works associated with the installation of the actual fire including the gas pipework, installation of the fire, flue test, commissioning and relevant notification - basically all the parts that should really be left to the professionals.

(I merely did the surrounding parts to make the rest of the fireplace look nice (is that humble enough for you?)).

That however felt like it would sound long-winded and detract from the original question I was asking in the first place, and now I have just typed it all out, I find I am correct.

doitall, why would you still suggest ripping it out?

Sponsored Links
There is no need to be humble on my account. As for removing the fire. Many RGI's are concerned that an open flue gas appliance of these outputs, some with living yellow flame should be sold and installed in this day and age. I would tend to agree.

Nixt said:
Many RGI's are concerned that an open flue gas appliance of these outputs

By this do you mean the output is too low or too high.

Is it just the living flame fires that are frowned upon, i.e. are the sealed mock-stove gas fires OK?

If not then what is the solution if you wish to supplement your central heating with a gas-fired directed heat source??

Sponsored Links
Can't quite get that link working but I'm assuming you're quoting the relevant part there Nixt.

I just find it hard to get my head round that every domestic gas fire that is installed should be fitted with its own purpose made ventilation system (incidently my fire has an output of 3.5kW).

Surely that would remove any positive effect the fire has on the temperature of the room as you'd be increasing the heat loss of the room by increasing the air changes to provide the ventilation required.

Or is that what you're getting at??

Haven't posted any link. Last post was just a generalisation about RGI's concerns about open flue fires and was not aimed at your installation. Manufacturers intructions will specify ventilation requirements. Natural (adventitious) air ingress will usually be adequate for 3.5kW output.

NOT if it is flueless fire.

Some LFE fires also required additional ventillation.

OP says it's not flueless.
Some LFE fires also required additional ventillation.

Hence statement 'maufacturers intructions will specify ventilation requirements'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back