Foil insulation AND glass fibre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm working on our loft conversion.
We've got the tri-iso silver foil stuff all round the walls and a layer on top of the new ceiling beams and following the instructions will put battens to leave a 25mm gap before putting up the plasterboard to let it "breathe".

However, I had what I though was a great idea and put a layer of left over yellow glass fibre stuff on top of the foil in the new small roof partition. My thinking at the time was you can't have too much insulation right? There's a breathable membrane under the roof tiles through which I can feel a decent breeze blowing.

I'm now told by someone who's in the know that I need to leave an air gap between the outside surface of the foil and the glass fibre to let it breathe as well. I'm trying to understand why this would be? If it was hot and wet outside and the house cold inside then condensation may occur on the foil I guess, but surely this is not a common occurance and the moisture could evaporate away as easy from the glassfibre as from the foil surface?

Any thoughts well appreciated, before I have to yank the whole lot down and redo, or just plasterboard and forget about it!?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back