Loft using foil insulation inside of the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was hoping for some advice. I have recently purchased an old house which has the old style roof i.e. tiles cemented on wood slats. I wanted to get the loft boarded so i could use it was a store room. I got a quote to board the area (double layered). Obviously this reduces my head room as the floor will be higher then before.
I was going to use insulated foil on the inside as it is quite breezy and wanted to stop me loosing heat. However I was going to layer the top half and leave the bottom half (below pillar) to let the roof breath as it’s an old house.

Now the question is, I’m not sure about all my choices.
- Should i part foil it, so as to let the roof breath?
- Or can i foil all of it as it will still manage to breath anyway as it should still breath due to me just stapling the foil on.
I have put some pics of the loft up. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
Generally foil products are a waste of time because you need still air both sides of the foil to make it effective.
Can't see from your pics how high up the sides of the rafters you have stapled the foil, but you should leave a 2" gap between the foil and underside of covering for air circulation.
If you are not careful, you are going to make the situation worse for your roof.

Hi,

I havent put up any foil yet. In the picture is old lining that was there when i bought the house. I was look to install the foil over the batterns so there will be about 3/4 inches between the foil and the tile.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

When you say forget about it, are you referring to foiling the whole lot or just part of it? I havent done this before so please excuse the daft questions do i need to make sure it can breath along the top? Could i not leave a slight gap or pop a few wholes in the foil. I know it must defeat the object of the foil (i could buy a cheap one) but i was just viewing it as its best to have something rather then nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back