FOIL SCREEN BEHIND RADS ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive read about people putting foil screens behind their radiators....im taking all mine off soon to plaster , are they worthwhile ?

Sponsored Links
I rountinely paste kitchen foil to the wall behind the radiatior when decorating. If I'm wall papering I make it about 3in from the edges of the radiator and use wallpaper paste - then paper over a few hours later (never had any problems with paper lifting behind the rads). If it's going to be emulsioned I'll normally just do the area between the brackets (so it's not visible from above).

Costs next to nothing and simple physics say it must reduce heat loss into the wall.

If you get the stuff with the foil & foam & you fit it neatly (as I have), you will never need to decorate behind the rads again. As to saving heat, how can you measure that,m but you must assume some heat is saved.

Sponsored Links
If you have a filled cavity wall then I dont see its going to make any significant difference.

If its an unfilled cavity I dont think its that worthwhile and the priority will be to get the cavity insulated.

If its a solid 9" wall then I would suggest the double foil with foam in the middle will be very worthwhile. The Screwfix stuff at £15 per square metre says its equivalent to 55 mm of polystrene! Might still take a couple of years to pay back.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back