Football stats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not that I'm into them or anything but I was reading a match report in the paper, and at the end they gave out stats as to who had run the furthest during the game. There was also a stat about who had run the fastest during the game, how do they know?
How can they keep track of how far every player runs or how fast they go at any point during a match? Or do the players now have to wear some kind of pedometer type thing which records all of this info?

Sponsored Links
If they're scouse players, then presumably they are electronically tagged as a matter of course anyway :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I found this, which seems to explain it. the UEFA sent me a three-page document outlining the new system, which it says can also track other physical elements of the game such as shot speed and the distance of free kicks to the goal. The field, or pitch, is divided among 16 cameras ringing the stadium, with each one filming its own area. The cameras send video feeds to three laptops that extract the trajectories of the ball and players. The UEFA said it has tested the system against proprietary tracking systems used by individual clubs, and also by sending people on predetermined, fixed-length trajectories, and found it to be generally accurate within 3%.

Sort of begs the corollary question about the use of the third referee in games. They use it in tennis and cricket. So why not football - I for one would welcome stadium screens showing instantaneous replays of players diving, or "cheating" as some would call it. Maybe of these multimillionaire nancy boys realised they were under proper scrutiny which would affect the outcome of a live match, they may start behaving a bit better and earn their money honestly.

Sort of begs the corollary question about the use of the third referee in games. They use it in tennis and cricket. So why not football - I for one would welcome stadium screens showing instantaneous replays of players diving, or "cheating" as some would call it. Maybe of these multimillionaire nancy boys realised they were under proper scrutiny which would affect the outcome of a live match, they may start behaving a bit better and earn their money honestly.
They can't do that!! Man utd would never win the league.

Oddly enough, you have to go back to 2001 to see the last time a scouse team finished above Man Utd in the league.

Mind you, at least crowd shots of your derby matches are like an episode of crimewatch UK. So they may not be entertaining events, but they are useful in clearing up crime rates.

Oddly enough, you have to go back to 2001 to see the last time a scouse team finished above Man Utd in the league.

Mind you, at least crowd shots of your derby matches are like an episode of crimewatch UK. So they may not be entertaining events, but they are useful in clearing up crime rates.

But the crowd shots of Merseyside games actually consists of people from Merseyside :LOL:

for the record....Manchester has a much higher crime rate than Liverpool ;)

Sponsored Links
Back