Footing depth, ground level low one side

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Got to dig trenches out for our 4x4.5m extension. I have manually dug foottings near the services, digger coming wednesday if all goes to plan (given current situation)

Now, we know we have to dig minimal 1m down, good ground is hit at 500mm so 1m sould be max. The possible problem is, on our boundary side where we are joined to neighbours, the ground level on their side has been lowered last year, its not fully been taken away but quite weak at the edges. Would i need to dig 1m down on that side from their "new" ground level or my "original" ground level.

Picture is added to show. As you can see the ground goes away near the outside corner of the footing.
20200322_133043.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you have to dig down 1m? My BCO told me that 450mm (same as existing house) was fine.

Now, we know we have to dig minimal 1m down, good ground is hit at 500mm so 1m sould be max. The possible problem is, on our boundary side where we are joined to neighbours, the ground level on their side has been lowered last year, its not fully been taken away but quite weak at the edges. Would i need to dig 1m down on that side from their "new" ground level or my "original" ground level

you need to dig down far enough to reach load bearing ground that is stable. there is a min depth for frost protection -I think in the UK the frost line is 450mm

Sponsored Links
Hi guys.

Yes far as i know it needs to be min 1m, il double check but pretty sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back